When you’re renting a dumpster, it’s important to know what items you can and cannot put in it. Some items are prohibited because they are hazardous (and not permitted by law), while others are simply too large or heavy.
Here is a list of items that you cannot put in a dumpster:
- Tires: Tires are not allowed in landfills because they take up a lot of space and can release harmful chemicals into the environment. Instead, you should take your tires to a tire recycling center.
- Paint: Paint can contain hazardous chemicals, so it is important to dispose of it properly. You can take your paint to a hazardous waste disposal facility or a paint recycling center.
- Batteries: Batteries contain lead and other harmful chemicals, so they cannot be disposed of in landfills. You can take your batteries to a hazardous waste disposal facility or a battery recycling center.
- Appliances: Appliances often contain refrigerants and other harmful chemicals. If you are disposing of an appliance, you should call your local waste management company to find out how to do it properly.
- Hazardous materials: Any material that is considered hazardous cannot be disposed of in a dumpster. This includes things like gasoline, pesticides, and cleaning chemicals. If you have hazardous materials, you should contact your local waste management company to find out how to dispose of them properly.
- Animal carcasses: Animal carcasses are considered biohazards and cannot be disposed of in a dumpster. You should contact your local animal control agency to find out how to dispose of an animal carcass properly.
It is important to follow these rules when disposing of items in a dumpster. By doing so, you can help protect the environment and keep your community safe.
Here are some additional tips for disposing of items that cannot be put in a dumpster:
- Contact your local waste management company: They will be able to tell you the proper way to dispose of any item that you are not sure about.
- Look for recycling centers: Many items, such as paint, batteries, and electronics, can be recycled. Recycling helps to reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfills.
- Find a hazardous waste disposal facility: If you have hazardous materials, you will need to take them to a hazardous waste disposal facility. These facilities are designed to safely handle hazardous materials.
By following these tips, you can dispose of items properly and protect the environment.